Elevating Happiness and Increasing Success with Emotional Intelligence
While many lawyers likely credit much of their success to their high IQ’s, studies have shown that the happiest and most successful people also possess high emotional intelligence (EI or EQ).
In this episode hosts Christine Bilbrey and Karla Eckardt speak with Ronda Muir to discuss how attorneys can understand, use, and raise their emotional intelligence to increase their happiness and be more successful in their law practices.
Ronda Muir is the founder of Law People Management, which is one of the country’s leading authorities on lawyer personalities and on integrating behavioral science into the legal workplace. For more information about this episode’s guest visit https://www.lawpeopleblog.com/.
This podcast has been approved by The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Department for 1 hour of General CLE Credit and 1 hour of Mental Illness Awareness Credit. Course #4197.
- Beyond Smart: Lawyering with Emotional Intelligence by Ronda Muir (2017)
- Use Code EIWEB25 for a 25% discount through the end of October!
- Randall Kiser, Soft Skills for the Effective Lawyer (2017)
- Heidi Gardner, Smart Collaboration: How Professionals and Their Firms Succeed by Breaking Down Silos (2016)
- Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow (2011)
- Daniel Goleman, Dr. Richard Boyatzis, and Dr. Annie McKee, Primal Leadership: Learning to Lead with Emotional Intelligence (2001)
- Ronda Muir, Numerous Articles at LawPeopleBlog.com
- Ronda Muir, “Why Litigators Should Care About Emotional Intelligence,” International Bar Association Litigation Committee Newsletter (September 2019)
- Ronda Muir, “Why Criminal Defense Lawyers Should Care About Emotional Intelligence,” PACDL’s For The Defense (February 2019)
- Ronda Muir, “What Good Is Emotional Intelligence in Law Management?”ABA Business Law Today (October 22, 2018)
- “The Emotionally Intelligent Path To Well-Being” ABA’s The Well-Being Kit for Lawyers (August 2018)
- “Emotional Data in the Practice of Law” ARK’s Business Intelligence and Analytics for Law Firms(August 2018)
- Ronda Muir, “Using Emotional Intelligence to Meet Lower Demand in the 21st Century,”Modern Legal Practice (April 2018)
- Ronda Muir, “How Emotional Intelligence Makes You a Better Lawyer,”Your ABA (October 2017)
- Ronda Muir, “The Key to More Profitable Practices in the 21st Century,”ABA’s Law Practice Today (October 2017)
- Megan Beck and Barry Libert, “The Rise of AI Makes Emotional Intelligence More Important,” Harvard Business Review (February 15, 2017)
- Randall Kiser,“The Emotionally Intelligent Lawyer: Balancing the Rule of Law with the Realities of Human Behavior,” Nevada Law Journal (2015)
- Patrick R. Krill, Ryan Johnson and Linda Albert, “The Prevalence of Substance Use and Other Mental Health Concerns Among American Attorneys,” 10 Journal of Addiction Medicine (2016)
- Deborah L. Rhode, “Developing Leadership,” Santa Clara Law Review (2012)
- Ronda Muir, “The Importance of Emotional Intelligence in Law Firm Partners,”ABA’s Law Practice Magazine (July/August 2007)
- Martin Seligman, Paull R. Verkuil, Terry H. Kang, “Why Lawyers are Unhappy” (2005)
- David Maister, “Are Law Firms Manageable?’” DavidMaister.com
- Daniel Goleman, “What Makes a Leader?”Harvard Business Review (January 2004)
- Mindtools EI Quiz and Video
- Reading Emotions in the Eyes
- MSCEIT — Mayer Salovey Caruso Emotional Intelligence Test
The views expressed by the participants of this program are their own and do not represent the views of, nor are they endorsed by The Florida Bar, their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, or representatives. None of the content should be considered legal advice. As always, consult a lawyer.