Identity theft doesn’t just apply to stolen credit cards or social security numbers. For attorneys, scammers can steal names and even bar numbers in order to trick consumers. In this episode of The Florida Bar Podcast, hosts Christine Bilbrey and Karla Eckardt talk to Shanell Schuyler about attorney identity theft scams, what they look like, and what both lawyers and clients can do to prevent them. For victims of identity theft, they also share resources within and outside of The Florida Bar that can help attorneys recover from and report identity theft.
Shanell Schuyler is director of the Attorney Consumer Assistance Program (ACAP) and Intake Department of The Florida Bar.
Powered by RedCircle
This podcast has been approved by The Florida Bar Continuing Legal Education Department for 0.5 hour of General CLE credit including 0.5 hour of Ethics CLE credit. Course #7010.
- The Office of the Attorney General’s Identity Theft Resource and Response Center
- The Office of the Attorney General consumer fraud hotline is 866-9-NO-SCAM (866-966-7226).
- The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services hotline is 800-HELP-FLA (800-435-7352).
- The Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s Computer Crime Common Complaints page: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/FCCC/Common-Complaints
- File a Complaint with The Federal Trade Commission: www.ftc.gov/complaint
- File a Complaint with The Federal Bureau of Investigation’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3): http://www.ic3.gov/
- Lawyers should report identity theft to ACAP at 866-352-0707, or email email@example.com.
LEGALFUEL CLE PRESENTATIONS ARE INTENDED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY AND DO NOT REPLACE PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENT. STATEMENTS OF FACT AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED ARE THOSE OF THE PRESENTERS INDIVIDUALLY AND, UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED TO THE CONTRARY, ARE NOT THE OPINION OF THE FLORIDA BAR OR ITS COMMITTEES. THE FLORIDA BAR DOES NOT ENDORSE OR APPROVE, AND ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR, THE CONTENT, ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS OF THE INFORMATION PRESENTED. ANY FEEDBACK SHOULD BE PROVIDED TO THE EVENT ORGANIZER.